Monday, April 5, 2010

Stereotyping

Stereotyping. Its something we all do both consciously and subconsciously, whether we like it or not. We do it walking down the street, in our classes, when we go out, when we travel, etc. But why is it that we do it? And what are some of our favorites?

When we enter a room or crowded place, we don’t have time to meet and get to know everyone there and their stories. It just isn’t possible to know everything about everyone you pass or meet. So, we take what we do know (i.e. hair color, wardrobe, height, race, mannerisms, etc.) and make a judgment about the person based on that.

Is that so wrong though? When I hear the word “stereotype,” I immediately associate a negative connotation with it unfortunately. People are always protesting against being stereotyped and not wanting to be grouped into a bad one. This is totally understandable. No one wants to be judged for something they have no connection with. Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves without being prejudged.

But, in this day and age, with the amount of violence and national security problems that continue to be prevalent in everyday life, can anyone really blame us for stereotyping? In other words, if it’s being done in self-defense or for the protection of innocent minds and lives, isn’t it almost necessary to stereotype to a certain degree?

I’d love to hear your views on this topic because I think it has very good arguments for both sides of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment